Sunday 25 December 2011

Christmas Turkish Delight.


My father and younger sister's favorite Christmas treat is Turkish Delight. Specifically, Rose Turkish Delight. Over the previous summer I undertook a cookery course at The Grange, in Whately, Somerset, entitled ‘The Essential Cookery Course’. Turkish delight was one of the recipes on the course I knew I just had to master.

So, for Christmas, when my little sister declared that the only thing in the world she wanted from me was a load of rose flavored Turkish Delight, considering the theme of homemade gifts running through my Christmas presents already, I obliged. Here (if I say so myself) are the  glorious results.

The essential thing one has to remember here is to ensure that ALL the sugar granules have dissolved in the water BEFORE the mixture comes to the boil. If you don’t,  your sugar will crystallize as it sets and it will all end in tears.



Makes 50-60 pieces (depending on how large you cut them)

300ml hot water
25g Powdered Gelatine
¼ tsp Citric Acid
450g Caster Sugar
1tbs Rose Water
1 tsp red food coloring
Icing sugar

Place the water in a pan and sprinkle the gelatine over it.

Add the sugar and citric acid and heat gently, stirring often until the last of the sugar granules have dissolved and your mixture becomes transparent.

Bring up the heat and simmer this for 20 minutes.

Then add the rose water, food coloring and taste/adjust if you, personally, like it more flavored or more colored. Continue to simmer for another 15 minutes then pour into an oiled tin and leave to set for 24 hours.

Cut into squares, dusting them with icing sugar as you go and consume to generate instant Christmas cheer.

Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment